Next Friday, I’m off to China for sixteen days! I’m quite excited about the trip. I have two weeks of business in Beijing, but I have tried to add a bit of “me time” to the trip as well. I’m leaving on the 8th via Air Canada for Hong Kong. And thanks to a friend of mine, that will be in Air Canada’s Executive First cabin. I’m quite excited about that, to be honest. Executive First is priced and marketed like a premium business cabin, but it really looks like the seats are somewhere in between the suites of international first class and the business class seats on United. They have completely flat beds. Anyhow, the only international premium cabin I have ever flown in is United Business so I’m very excited to try this out!
Upon arrival in Hong Kong, I’ll be checking into the Le Meridien Cyberport for a night. I have never been to Hong Kong, and I’ll only be there for a night, but at least I’ll get to see the place quickly. Anyone have recommendations on what to do in Hong Kong for a night? I’m there more just to relax and get rid of jet lag. The next day, Sunday, I’m taking Air China from Hong Kong to Beijing in the afternoon. I’ll check into the Westin Chaoyang, grab some dinner, and have one more night to sleep off my jetlag. I’ll then have a pretty rigorous work week in Beijing for the next five days.
Then when Friday comes around, I’m off to Shanghai for the weekend! This will be my first time in Shanghai, and I’m very fortunate to have an old friend from college living there right now. He’ll show me a good time, take me to the hot spots to party, and guide me to the best sites to see! I’ll be staying at the Renaissance Zhongshan Park, which is apparently the tallest Renaissance hotel in the world.
Then on Sunday, it’s back to Beijing! I’ll be checking back into the same hotel, the Westin Chaoyang. I’m thinking about changing it up for the second week, though. I’m conflicted. On the one hand, a rigorous work week plus some weekend travel might just make it easier to stay at a familiar place, and I could leave one of my bags there during my weekend in Shanghai. On the other hand, how many times am I going to get the chance to sample Beijing lodging? Maybe I should go find a new spot! Thoughts? The current plan is to be in the Westin Chaoyang for 7 nights this time, working through Friday, leaving Saturday to explore, and coming back home on Easter Sunday, April 24. I’m flying Air Canada again, this time PEK-YVR-SFO, and I hope my upgrade luck is just as good! I’ll make sure to post trip reports along the way! I have my itinerary listed after the break. For those who were wondering, this is 15,882 EQMs.
- April 8: SFO-YVR in Air Canada’s Executive Class
- April 8: A Stop in the Maple Leaf Lounge
- April 8: YVR-HKG in Air Canada Executive First Suite
- April 9: A night at the Le Meridien Cyberport Hong Kong
- April 10: Hanging out in the SilverKris Lounge @ HKG
- April 10: HKG-PEK on Air China in Economy
- April 10 – 15: Staying at the Westin Chaoyang Beijing
- April 15: PEK-PVG on Air China in Economy
- April 15 – 17: Staying at the Renaissance Shanghai Zhongshan Park
- April 17: PVG-PEK on Air China
- April 17 – 23: Staying at the Westin Chaoyang Beijing
- April 23 – 24: A Mediocre Night at the Marriott Beijing Northeast
- April 24: Flying home PEK-YVR-SFO on Air Canada