British Airways is running a promotion for trans-Atlantic flights between the US and Europe. I’m not convinced this is a great offer for everyone, but if you are the kind of person who likes to fly mileage runs, you can earn 100,000 Avios points after three roundtrip flights to Europe (economy class included) and an additional 50,000 Avios points for every round trip after that.
Personally, I dislike hot, humid weather. Singapore and Hong Kong are really testing me right now. Hawaii wins only because I spend most of my time shirtless at the beach …calm down ladies 😉 Seattle would have a great climate if only there were a little more sun. For that and other reasons, London is one of my favorite cities to visit, especially in the winter, when you can sometimes find fares from the West Coast for under $600. These deep discount fares won’t qualify, but the points you earn on the higher fares necessary may make this promotion worthwhile anyway.
In theory, you could do several of these and not only earn tens of thousands of Avios points from travel but also an additional 100K+ points from the promotion. But don’t redeem those points for international tickets with British Airways. Instead, book domestic tickets with its American partners, including American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, and Hawaiian Airlines. Nonstop flights are among the cheapest.
For example, Avios is one of the cheapest ways to book award travel to Hawaii, for only 25,000 points roundtrip in economy class from the West Coast when you find a nonstop flight. That means for the first three weekend trips to London you can get four roundtrip tickets to Hawaii, and for ever weekend after that you can get another two. This is an extreme case, but you see how it can be lucrative.
Unfortunately you have to credit the flights to British Airways’ Executive Club, because I would love to be able to use these for my American AAdvantage status match and still get the bonus. But Avios are a great redemption option for certain awards.
The Terms and Conditions are lengthy, but with an offer like this they are more important than ever:
Avios bonus for US and Canadian Executive Club members on qualifying, round-trip transatlantic flights operated and marketed by British Airways, American Airlines, Iberia or OpenSkies booked in flexible/non-restricted Economy or higher fares for travel completed by January 31, 2013. Pre-travel registration required.
- To be eligible for this promotion, British Airways Executive Club members at least 18 years of age who are locally enrolled and residing in the United States or Canada must (i) register for the promotion between September 27, 2012 and January 31, 2013, inclusive, at ba.com; if you are not a current member, you must enroll in Executive Club and register; and (ii) after registering sufficiently in advance of outbound travel, book and then complete qualifying flights by January 31, 2013. British Airways (“BA”) reserves the right to verify the eligibility of members. By taking part in this promotion, members confirm that they accept the terms and conditions of the offer.
- Existing bookings made prior to the promotional period do not qualify and this offer cannot be applied retroactively.
- Member must purchase and fly on a full-fare, transatlantic round-trip ticket for travel beginning and ending in the United States or Canada for flights that are operated and marketed by British Airways, American Airlines, Iberia or OpenSkies, in the following booking classes (which are unrestricted or have limited restrictions): (i) on British Airways operated flights, includes fares booked in First Class, Club World Business Class, World Traveller Plus Premium Economy or flexible/non-restricted World Traveller Economy Class: F, A, J, C, D, R, I, W, E, T, Y, B or H; (ii) on American Airlines operated flights, includes fares booked in First Class, Business Class or flexible/non-restricted Economy Class: F, A, J, R, D, I, Y, B or H; (iii) on Iberia operated flights, includes fares booked in Business Class or flexible/non-restricted Economy Class: J, C, D, R, I or Y;
- (iv) on OpenSkies operated flights, includes fares booked in Biz Bed/Business, Prem Plus/Premium Economy and flexible/non-restricted Eco/Economy: J, C, D, R, I, W, E, T, Y, B or H.
- This promotion does not apply to flights marketed or operated by franchises, including Comair, Iberia Express, and Sun-Air, or any other code share partners or oneworld© Alliance members.
- It is the member’s responsibility to ensure that the booking/selling class of the fare purchased qualifies for this promotion. Please confirm prior to purchase. For bookings on ba.com, simply click on the flight number hyperlink on the “Choose your flights” page and refer to the booking/selling classes listed above in 3. (Discount Economy class fares, including those booked/sold in K, M, L, V, S, N, Q, O, or G fare classes, do not qualify for this offer.)
- Member will earn the following bonus on qualifying, round-trip transatlantic flights booked in flexible/non-restricted Economy and higher fare classes taken during the promotional period:
- – 15,000 bonus Avios points for first round-trip purchased and flown as an Executive Club member on a qualifying ticket
- – 35,000 bonus Avios points for second round-trip purchased and flown as an Executive Club member on a qualifying ticket
- – 50,000 bonus Avios points for third (and each subsequent) round-trip purchased and flown as an Executive Club member on a qualifying ticket
- Members must quote their Executive Club membership number when booking their qualifying flights and again at check-in for each flight flown during the promotional period.
- The following are not qualifying flights and this promotion cannot be used in conjunction with any offer, promotion, or deal, including, but not limited to: (i) redemption bookings; (ii) travel agent or airline industry discounted fares, Consolidator or Wholesale fares, group discount fares, child/infant fares or senior citizen fares, whether or not booked in one of the qualifying booking classes; (iii) bookings made with vouchers or coupons (e.g. shareholder’s discount coupon); or (iv) tickets upgraded from any class.
- Qualifying flights are subject to availability and capacity control in the booking classes eligible for this promotion at the time of booking. BA does not accept any responsibility in the event that members are unable to book qualifying flights.
- Please allow 4 to 6 weeks for bonus Avios to be credited to your Executive Club account.
- British Airways is not liable for the reproduction of this offer or indirect access via third party websites of these terms and where such reproduction misstates or omits any of the information or terms and conditions connected with this promotion.
- Member must pay all applicable taxes, fees, and carrier charges.
- BA reserves the right to cancel or amend the terms and conditions of this offer, without notice, at any time.
- Subject to the full terms and conditions of the Executive Club Programme.
- Cannot be combined with any other offer.
- Other significant restrictions apply.