Delta Air Lines and Hilton Hotels have a new promotion that doesn’t just help you earn more miles but also contributes toward elite status. Now through December 31, 2015, you can get double SkyMiles as well as a flat 250 Medallion Qualifying Miles on every stay of two nights or more.
This offer is only available to customers who choose to credit their Hilton stays to Delta instead of earning Hilton HHonors points. My personal preference is for Hilton points — you can earn a lot more of them very quickly, and there remain some good deals on the Hilton award chart. When you choose to earn miles, you tend to earn fewer.
But it’s very difficult sometimes to get enough elite qualifying miles, especially near the end of the year. That’s why I think this promotion still has merit. (You’ll still get some miles when you select the “Points & Miles” option. Just not as many as if you pick “Points & Points.”)
- Note: Make sure to select Delta as your preferred airline partner in your HHonors profile to qualify for this offer and that you have “Points & Miles” selected as your HHonors earning style
- For each stay, members will earn 250 MQMs after their second night
- Plus members will earn double standard SkyMiles for their stay
- When: October 3 – December 31, 2015
- Sign-Up: Register here before checking out of your first stay
Be aware that Delta still has other requirements in order to earn elite status with them. Each tier requires a certain number of Medallion Qualifying Dollars — credit based on the value of your flights with Delta all year long. So earning MQMs isn’t enough by itself without the MQDs. You’re also capped at earning 10,000 MQMs with this promotion.
Depending on your elite status goal you will need between $3,000 and $15,000 MQDs, plus additional MQMs from credit card bonuses or flying. (However, certain Delta credit cards also come with an MQD waiver so that MQMs are the only requirement.)
You can learn more about earning MQDs in this earlier post.