I almost never use my SPG Amex business card. I originally got it for the qualifying night/stay credit (along with the personal card) when I was a frequent Starwood guest. And I kept it after that for access to the discounted Hyatt gift cards via Amex OPEN (an offer that is no longer available). But for daily spend? Nope.
Fortunately Amex seems to be targeting some members for a chance to earn 5,000 or 10,000 bonus Starpoints if they spend several thousand dollars in the next couple months. I got the offer in my email this morning. Some members on FlyerTalk posted their own, similar offers. But a few people have reported difficulty enrolling others who did not receive the offer, such as a spouse. I haven’t read about anyone getting this offer for a personal SPG Amex card.
Here’s how the offer plays out:
- Earn 5,000 Starpoints after you spend $5,000 in qualifying purchases.
- Earn an additional 5,000 Starpoints (for a total of 10,000 bonus Starpoints) after you spend an additional $5,000 (for a total of $10,000) in qualifying purchases.
- Purchases made by authorized users also qualify, but only the primary member is eligible for the offer to receive bonus Starpoints.
- Registration and qualifying purchases must be completed by October 15, 2016. That leaves a large window of opportunity in case you already have other cards on which you need to hit a minimum spend.
- See Terms and Conditions for more details.
In effect, this means the card earns double points on all purchases, up to $10,000, through mid-October. Because transactions at Starwood hotels already earn double points, they’ll earn triple points.
I value Starpoints at roughly 2.2 cents each, placing a total value of $220 on this offer. It’s not a lot, but it is probably enough for me to pull out this card and start using it again for purchases that don’t already earn me a bonus with other credit cards. (Some people do this already. Personally, I wasn’t motivated enough to carry an extra credit card in my wallet. Earning two Starpoints per dollar has changed my mind.)
Users on Reddit have published a similar offer for earning 5,000 bonus SkyMiles with a Delta Amex card, suggesting that there may be a variety of offers coming from American Express to increase user loyalty to their co-brand portfolio, which has suffered several hits in recent years.
Has anyone else received different offers for this card, or offers for the personal version of the SPG Amex? Let me know, and I’ll update the post.