Singapore Air just announced their Fall promotion and quite honestly, I’m a little disappointed. The promotion is fairly restrictive and the routes are limited but if you have some extra KrisFlyer miles to burn (or need to do something with all those Citi Thank You points), now would be a good time to go visit Singapore and beyond. From now until November 16, 2016, you can redeem KrisFlyer Miles for a 30% discount when you book online at singaporeair.com. Here are the details:
- Travel period is from February 6, 2017 to May 31, 2017. All travel must be completed by May 31, 2017.
- Travel must be on Singapore Airlines or SilkAir metal only.
- Travel cannot include Star Alliance or other partner airline flights.
- Discount can only be redeemed for Economy or Premium Economy class award tickets only. Business and First class awards are excluded.
- Award tickets must be at the saver level.
- Not all destinations and NOT ALL FLIGHTS within their network are included.
- The 15% online discount for booking online is already included in this promotion. No additional discounts apply.
With the 30% discount, here are some Economy class examples from North America to Singapore. Miles are listed for one-way travel.
- LOS ANGELES TO SINGAPORE 24500
- SAN FRANCISCO TO SINGAPORE 24500
- HOUSTON TO SINGAPORE 26250
- NEW YORK TO SINGAPORE 26250
Here are some Economy class examples from Singapore to the Southwest Pacific.
- SINGAPORE TO AUCKLAND 17500
- SINGAPORE TO SYDNEY 17500
- SINGAPORE TO MELBOURNE 17500
And for Premium Economy:
- LOS ANGELES TO SINGAPORE 45500
- SINGAPORE TO NEW YORK 49000
- SINGAPORE TO SYDNEY 31500
I didn’t list all the destinations but as you can see, the routes are fairly limited. But if you can make the travel work, it’s not a bad deal. For example, you could fly from Los Angeles to Singapore for 49,000 KrisFlyer miles roundtrip in Economy class or 91,000 KrisFlyer miles for Premium Economy. That’s pretty good.
No promo code is needed and the discount is built directly into the search engine. When you search for flights, the non-discounted price will be displayed next to the flight selections but when you select your flights, the discounted price will calculate along with taxes, surcharges and fees.
Singapore Air Fuel Surcharges
Keep in mind that Singapore Airlines does add hefty fuel surcharges to their own flights. For example, West Coast USA to Singapore roundtrip in Economy class would cost approximately $537 USD in taxes, surcharges and other fees. From New York, the taxes, surcharges and other fees would cost approximately $680 USD. However, to go from West Coast USA to Singapore in Premium Economy class is only slightly more expensive at approximately $550 in taxes, surcharges and fees. If you have the miles to make Premium Economy work, I would recommend that.
So overall, I don’t think this is a great promotion at all. It’s not a bad deal if you want to travel to Singapore and don’t mind not having a flat bed but the ridiculous fuel surcharges make the the promotion a little hard to swallow. Keep in mind that Singapore Airlines already gives you a 15% discount when you book online and that discount does apply to First and Business class awards so I would book those instead. And the fuel surcharges are only slightly more expensive for premium cabins. If you want to know more about Singapore Airlines and their KrisFlyer program, you can read my complete guide to Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer.
Additional information about Singapore Air’s Fall promo can be found here.
What do you guys think? Will any of you take advantage of this promotion?