Through June 30, American Airlines is offering up to a 67% bonus on mile purchases and 10% off. If you maximize this, you can buy American Airlines miles for as little as 1.72 cents each.
Like most buy miles promotions, the bonus is tiered depending on the number of miles you buy.
- 11,000 – 20,000 miles purchased: 2,500 mile bonus + 10% off
- 21,000 – 50,000 miles purchased: 5,000 mile bonus + 10% off
- 51,000 – 75,000 miles purchased: 15,000 mile bonus + 10% off
- 76,000 – 100,000 miles purchased: 27,500 mile bonus + 10 % off
- 101,000 – 125,000 miles purchased: 45,000 mile bonus + 10% off
- 126,000 – 149,000 miles purchased: 70,000 mile bonus + 10% off
- 150,000 miles purchased: 100,000 mile bonus + 10% off
The lowest mileage purchases price happens when you buy 150,000 miles at 2.95 cents each plus a 7.5% excise tax and $30 processing fee. You’ll net 250,00 miles (including the bonus) for just over $4,300, working out to about 1.72 cents per mile.
Is This a Good Deal?
This ties the cheapest price we have seen American Airlines miles offered at in the memorable past, so if you’re looking to pick up some AA miles now is probably the time to do it. I never recommend buying miles speculatively, but if you need to top off for an award or want to splurge and upgrade yourself to the next class of service on an upcoming trip this is a pretty decent way to do it.
American Airlines availability has been a bit worse than normal lately, so I recommend that you know what you plan to do with these miles before you purchase.